Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

The Gardener's Path - Container Garden Tips

   Happy Mother's Day! Today I get to do a few of my favorite things: writing my blog & planting & digging & weeding... I have some time to reflect on past 'growing seasons; some years it is a 'groaning season' for sure. There was the year of NO rain, the year of plenty of rain (one I think!), the year the peppers did well & the tomatoes did not. The year deer first found my yard and the year ground hogs stayed away. The year I purchased my first Baptisia and the year it flourished. What I remember is that the true gardener's path does not always have smooth stones. Sometimes there are jagged stones or weeds. Sometimes it is decorated with snail trails or moss. Sometimes it flourishes and sometimes there are failures. Just remember to let the path guide you but to stay adventurous too! Here is to another glorious gardening season. In the spring we can all have hope

   Here is a repost of some container gardening tips. I have given you some of the actual container basics in the past search: Container Gardens 101 & watering advice in Watering Container Gardens 101, & Container Gardens - Summer Plants now it’s time for the gardening artist in all of us to shine!
     Before I get to the actual plants, I want you to consider the complimentary colors & some beautiful color blends. (see wheel at left) There are never any right or wrong color choices because whatever you choose will blend like a wonderful English cottage garden. The basics: blues compliment peaches, tangerine/mango & orange. Lots of green foliage compliments the pinks & reds. Yellows compliment the purples. I like white anywhere. These are some basics. I use the purples, pinks & white together for a soft, seamless look. Also blending many shades of a color together is a very sophisticated look. (Think pinks or purples because the selection is endless) Again, there are no wrong colors, the sky’s the limit! Be creative & squint like an artist.
     Containers of the large size have three basic components: the thriller, filler & spiller. The thriller is your centerpiece plant. The filler plants are your lower growers that surround the thriller. The spiller plants will spill & drape over the sides of your container giving a soft look. Look around your yard first before you shop. You may have some plants waiting for you. I use Lamium (pictured at left) for my spiller plant. It makes a wonderful ground cover, but has a spilling growth habit & it’s free! You may have free right outside your door. Also think edible! Lettuces, parsley, basil , well most herbs can be so beautiful and useful in your container.
     Consider the sun exposure you have first of all & then plan your wish list. You will ALWAYS see other plants not on your mental list that just strike a cord. Go for it & try them out. Learning by trial & error is the best teacher. (and reading informational blogs!) Remember: proper sun exposure, watering & maintenance will make all your planters a success no matter what you choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment