Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Get Your Bird Feeders Ready!


    If you read my blog from February, Feed the Birds, Not the Squirrels!, you should be all baffled & ready to go for the Spring & Summer bird feeding season. Now is the time to clean the feeders & get them ready to go. I usually take advantage of a warmer day when I can drag out the hose & get some good water pressure going. I try to use as few cleaning products as possible. So begin with some water hose pressure to loosen up dried & caked on seed. Then, if necessary, use a little dish soap & a scrub brush for the stubborn stains. Your suet feeder can be trickier. I find there can be some mold there from the moist suet cakes. In that case, a little bleach in a bucket & a good soak is necessary. Then, rinse with soapy water & rinse, rinse, rinse. Last year I gave my suet feeder, which is sun shaped, a fresh coat of spray paint. Let it air out a few days of any remaining fumes & then load it up. Your hummingbird feeder should be ready to go from last year (because we always clean them before we pack them up!). If not, a little bleach in a bucket soak will work well here on mold, but be sure to rinse well. A bottle brush will keep the glass portion sparkling. If you have a thistle feeder or thistle sock, replace all the old food with new food. Goldfinches are very finicky about having fresh food. I use the socks because I find the feeders tough to clean. And get those clean birdbaths out & ready to go also! Not all birds come to feeders, but they all need a drink & a dip now & then!
    Keeping all your feeders clean will keep your birds healthy, happy & keep them coming back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment