Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Baked Macaroni & Cheese ~ for the Lactose Intolerant

   I have very recently discovered that I am lactose intolerant. There I said it. The girl who would never give up cheese for Lent; the girl whose desert island food is New Jersey Boardwalk pizza (with Knorr’s vegetable, spinach dip a close second). I have probably been in denial for more than a year but finally have seen this to be not the end of the world. Last weekend I made a modified Mac & Cheese recipe accommodating my intolerance & let me tell you, it was best I’ve ever made. I used a super sharp cheddar cheese & extra seasonings to accommodate for what I thought would be lack of flavor. I definitely stumbled onto something. Even the Teenage Tester, reluctant at first, loved it. So here is the recipe. You can always substitute your milk for the Lactaid here in the recipe. I used Cracker Barrel cheese. They print right on the label the grams of lactose. This sharp has 0g & the yellow & white variety is visually perfect & delicious!
2 cups uncooked elbows (or small shells)
¼ cup butter or margarine (has some lactose, but not much)
¼ cup flour
2-1/2 cups Lactaid milk (I used fat free)
8-oz cubed/sliced Cracker Barrel marbled sharp cheddar
1 teaspoon ground mustard
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bread crumbs
Cook macaroni according to directions. Meanwhile, bring milk, flour & butter to a slow boil. Whisk in seasonings & cheese until it melts completely. Drain macaroni & combine in cheese mixture. Pour into 2 quart baking dish sprayed with a non-stick. Top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Delish!
    This can easily be reheated in the microwave at 50% power to avoid the butter separating. Check out the Cracker Barrel link below for ideas on pairing cheeses with foods & wines.

http://www.crackerbarrelcheese.com/perfect-pairings/#pairing-basics

No comments:

Post a Comment