Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Houseplants For Health

     So, did you know, according to the EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency), the inside of your home is often more polluted that the outside. Scary, yes, fixable ~ yes, yes, yes. We generate toxic fumes when we cook & clean for starters. Although I’d love to always eat out & never raise a toilet brush, let’s be practical. We can start reducing in-home pollutants (even cancer-causing ones) like benzene & formaldehyde with houseplants. Researchers at NASA have known for years that certain houseplants effectively reduce home levels of pollutants. (Heck, they use them in space!) As an added bonus, houseplants will increase the relative humidity in the air which has been shown to have a relaxing effect. Plants have also been proven to reduce dust accumulation (woo hoo-double bonus). I have to admit, as much as I love outdoor plants, I have been a houseplant slacker. I don’t have great light & I’ve used that as an excuse. Also, plants can sometimes look dated. So I will help us all get over that. Two excellent choices are gerbera daisies (so pretty) and the ficus tree are for sunnier locations. The pothos & peace lily are wonderful air cleaning machines for medium to low light. Also on the list, for this autumnal time of year, is the florist mum! So if you need a beautiful hostess gift this time of year, think mums. At Christmastime, perhaps a red gerbera daisy for something different & healthy! I think containers have come a looong way to make a plant look special in any room. Enjoy the clean air!
     Check out the links below. The first is for gerbera daisy care & the second for a list on 10 of the best plants! One of the surprises for me was liriope or lily turf. I adore this outdoor plant. Who knew it will do wonders inside too!

http://www.englishgardens.com/10-best-clean-air-house-plants

No comments:

Post a Comment