Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

New Year's Family Superstitions

     So with New Year’s Eve/Day approaching, I thought I would share some of my family’s superstitions with you. Have a wonderful New Year!

~ On New Year’s Eve, we take the wax of melting candles & pour over a bowl of cold water. The shape it forms tells your future for the New Year. The year I got pregnant & had my daughter, my wax formed a pink baby booty. (red candle wax) I was, however, convinced I was having a boy until the day she was born. I remembered the wax & pulled it out of hiding & couldn’t believe it. I still have that booty.
~ In my family, we were told not to be in the bathroom at the stroke of midnight, because that is what you would be destined to do the rest of the year!
~ Open the door to let the old year out! Take pots to bang with spoons/noise makers with you to scare any bad spirits away. This is also the reason for the tradition of loud fireworks at midnight too.
~ Have an open purse ready by the window (preferably with some moonlight shining) at the New Year. This will guarantee your prosperity in the coming year.
~ There are plenty of food traditions too. We always had a bowl of nuts to crack on the Eve & ate pork on New Year’s Day. The pig is an animal that moves forward, not backward ~ yes, you never knew a pig could have a profound purpose! (Chickens for instance can move all kinds of ways, including circles – not profound at all for such a special day.)
~ Make sure the first person to enter your home in the New Year is a man for good luck. Preferably tall, dark & handsome ~ lol!

     I know this all sounds exhausting! I guarantee it is fun & will help ensure a wonderful, prosperous New Year. Enjoy your celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment