Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Benefits of a Long, Cold Winter

     So I am writing this blog in the dark, power outage still looming after 12 hours so far. Yes, I am an East Coaster with the umpteenth winter storm this year. Yes, I have lost count. We all have in this neck of the woods. We are used to a couple storms a winter, if that. Give me Al Gore’s twitter account, I’d like to give him a piece of my mind – HA global warming! But, we will see some benefit from this Polar Vortex winter! So here my icy cold fingers go:

    ~So the main benefit, as far as I’m concerned, are less mosquitoes this summer! Also, the tree killing ash borer will be in short supply. Woo hoo. Liking that!
    ~Yes, the photo opportunities are one of kind I must say…
    ~Fireplace fires take on much more meaning, warmth and ambiance.
    ~Power outages do give you the chance to clean out your fridge and freezers. You don’t even lose your food. It just goes right outside, (is this what they did on Little House on the Prairie?)
    ~Using up candles for electricity. I have lots of candles to use and love when it is practical and pretty.
   ~A new study shows that exposing the body to low temperatures after exercise may be the most effective recovery method for runners suffering from exercise-related damage & pain.


     In closing, I know I have been craving a Caribbean life for the past 2 months, but I also know I need to be grateful. I also have no idea when I will get to post this, hopefully before the crocuses pop!

No comments:

Post a Comment