Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Big Magic - Fearless Book Review

   I believe this is my second book recommendation (Simple Abundance being the very first and my first official blog!) in all these years! I hope I can do this book justice with just a few sentences. So this must be a pretty special book & I believe it to be! In three words ~ I devoured it! It resonates with me and I feel would emotionally charge anyone. The author is Elizabeth Gilbert (her most acclaimed novel/film is Eat, Pray, Love. (Oh yes, I did write another blog on an inspirational part of that movie see one of my favorite blogs ever, Dolce Far Niente.) The premise of Big Magic is understanding what experiencing that spark of inspiration actually feels like to us and then trying some creative living beyond fear. So for many this book will not speak to them as a writer but it is a book for anyone with any kind of creative inkling and how to capture that without fear. The stories from her own life are honest and human. What did this blogger take away from this self-help? To keep plugging along and to grab the inspiration when it hits; Grab a pen & write, grab my garden trough & dig, grab my spray paint and upcycle! Inspiration is fleeting and will find the next human and then the next and so on, until one listens and creates.

"Pure creativity is something better than a necessity; it's a gift. It's the frosting. Our creativity is a wild and unexpected bonus from the universe. It's as if all our gods & angels gathered together and said, "It's tough down there as a human being, we know. Here - have some delights.""

   The singer Adele is releasing her first CD (Adele 25) in five years on November 20th. In an interview she said that after some physical healing and then a few years after the birth of her baby she was ready to sit down and create. Well, she sat & it didn't happen. According to Liz Gilbert, you can't just say "I'm ready" and expect the Big Magic to happen. I believe Adele did what LG would advise; to get busy doing something else. So Adele went back to being a mum & eventually creativity came. Did she brush aside some inspiration along the way of her hiatus? I bet she did. Did it matter? No because life goes on too, adjacent to inspiration. So these women inspire us to keep plugging away at our crafts and the Big Magic will come for sure; no worries there. "Only when we are at our most playful can divinity finally get serious with us." ~LG  Amen to that!

   With the holidays approaching, I know this would make an amazing gift for the women and daughters in your life. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment