Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Walking the Walk ~ Clothes Closet Time!

   Simplify, Simplify. I have committed to walk the walk and talk the talk. So, yes, this is my second in a series of GET ORGANIZED! CLEAR THE CLUTTER! Don't be scared. I can promise you that I have not missed ONE single item from the Part One of this series - the makeup drawer. Amazing? This simplifying pledge is truly easier than you think!
    Today I am overhauling your clothes closet. This is the time of year you are beginning to transition from summer ready-to-wear to fall - and pretty quickly after that - winter. If you are like me you will be purchasing a few new things for yourself in the next few months. When my closet is discombobulated there is no possible way to know what I have/don't have, what I've outgrown (physically or emotionally!). We all have dressy clothes, work clothes, going out in jeans clothes, work-out clothes, comfy-watching-TV-clothes... Some may have a closet to accommodate all the attire of fabulous you (yes, Bestie you know who you are lucky girl!). Some of us with smaller closets should not even try...
    Begin by creating piles of things you know you will no longer wear for whatever reason. Create a couple piles; one to donate and one for a girls night swap event (see previous GNO Swap blog, Nov 2013). Then if your closet is smaller, keep only in this convenient closet the categories of your fab life that you use most, say work clothes and going out in jeans clothes. Find another closet or storage option for the other categories. (If this is not an option then you will need to really pare down & in turn be crowned the simplify queen for the year! I am not there - yet). In the pics to the left the first is my jumble and the second so much better. I have jeans/pants lined up according to color & type. My tops are organized by sleeve length & weight. I started with shorter sleeve and organized the colors within that section (yes black & gray of course & then colors - use prominent color in patterned tops). Next, long sleeve - same thing organize by color, etc. Then sweater/cardigan weight and organize by color again. Be your own kind of creative with this & have fun. I promise you will no longer say I have nothing to wear & I guarantee it will make getting dressed & looking pulled together a time saver now and we certainly need more time in our days! If you feel you really do need new things to wear then consult my blog from Stacy & Clinton - just Google What not to wear ultimate rule book - (Yes, I made page 1! Woo hoo!!) these tips are invaluable because who wants to waste money on items that aren't fab for us!
    To take it to the next level, have some fun with your accessories. I like to wrap the coordinated scarves & jewelry around the neck of the hangers of my tops so they are ready to go. To add more polish to your closet you can try to use all the same hangers for unification. My not so teenage tester does this and it looks sooo organized (yes, you guessed it - I got the cast offs but someday...) Wal-Mart sells great hangers and cheap! The TT's advice, buy more than you think you'll need and take them back. Yes, we under bought silver & it was a few months before more came in. If you are not sure then she suggests choosing white which is always available.

   So there you have it. Most importantly, be generous with your donations; have fun with it and feel your power & fabulosity next time you put an outfit together in under two minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment