Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Resolve ~ Absolutely; Resolutions ~ Not So Much

    By definition ~ Resolve ~ to find an answer or solution to (something): to settle or solve (something) ~ to make a definite or serious decision to do something.
     By definition ~ Resolution ~ the act of finding an answer or solution to a conflict, problem, etc.: the act of resolving something ~ an answer or solution to something.
    You would have to read these two definitions a number of times to grasp their subtle but important differences. In my head, the way I see it, I know one requires action & determination. The other requires me to think about action & determination first. So which would you choose?
   Well, you need to know yourself first. Sitting down on January first & writing down some resolutions for me is failure personified. (I mean seriously, me the person, will haunt my thoughts because I haven't kept them up!) For example, if my resolution is to write fifty-two blogs this year, that is a haunting & daunting task looming over what is a creative process. Now if I resolve on January 1st to say write a blog that day or night because I am inspired by something (Big Magic as Elizabeth Gilbert would say in her new book) at whatever time inspiration hits me, now that is something I can live with and feel good about. Resolve is something that I feel would make my life richer, passionate and not as much of a pressure cooker as a resolution would suggest!


   With the New Year being a time for fresh (dietary) starts, instead of 'I am going to lose twenty pounds this year', one might try: 'I received this delicious olive oil for Christmas this year with a fantastic vinegar... I am going to have some healthy fats today & try this out for sure!' Yes, the healthy fats like olive oil, nuts & avocadoes will help you feel fuller & give you tremendous nutritional benefit. I guess you can see where I am going with this now. Resolve is action & resolution is the thought and then action on what often turns out to be an unrealistic expectation. Your resolve is based on thoughts you've been having over the past months anyway. You are probably not jumping into resolve willy nilly. There is no danger here; there is only success!
    So let those inspirations of yesteryear fuel the resolve you feel in 2016, one day at a time. No pressure, just passion!

    Here's to a New Year chock full of that resolve & passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment