Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

When Did We Stop Playing & Moving for Fun??

     I am a Baby Boomer & proud of it. We, the Boomers, had a childhood that dreams are made of. My life was filled with the simple things, family & friends for security and the lack of technology & TV channels kept the temptation of staying indoors at bay!
   Yes, the younger me was off playing every day after school, during school, weekends, holidays. And by playing I mean I was always moving! I left the house to seek out neighborhood kids and friends and didn't return home until hunger set in. I never got tired, seriously. Now you may say that's because you were young. Sure that plays a part but I was always doing activities that kept me moving, my body engaged and those activities were FUN! Sure there were mandatory homework times & rainy days when arts & crafts, jacks & board games come into play. It is those moving times I'd like us all to get back to. We need to find the fun again in moving & not see exercise always as a chore. That is how one gets to a healthy weight & stays there for a lifetime.

    Those fondly remembered activities included roller skating, tennis (against a wall), kick the can, wire ball, baby in the air, basketball, catch, jumping rope traditional & Chinese, hopscotch, can ball, dodge ball, jingle jump, riding bikes everywhere, walking everywhere, running, handball and organized sports like basketball, softball & even bowling in a kid's league on Saturday mornings. Winter moving included sledding (but we had to make our own hill first), snowball fights from behind massive forts & igloo building. And when we got soaked to the bone we would come inside, throw our clothes in the closest neighborhood kid's clothes dryer, plan our next igloo city & then get back out there with dry, warm & toasty jackets socks, hats & gloves. I am exhausted just writing all this down & smiling at the memories.

   It was my life & I am happy to say I have maintained a healthy weight over the years. What I am sad to say is aside from my love of yoga, some fun activities have slipped my mind. When did I stop playing? I want to find a vintage Jingle Jump & jump again! I enjoy walking but this year I want it to take me to a destination like it did so many years ago. I resolve this year to find moving activities that are fun. This is the only way to maintain healthy bodies for a lifetime & simultaneously keep the joy in our hearts. If you dread what you need to do to maintain your weight then get moving for FUN. The alternative being you will eventually lose the battle to alas ~ TV & technology. Have a blast playing & being fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment