Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Decorate with Mindfulness this Holiday

   How quick the season is upon us & we suddenly realize time is running out and we have to shop, wrap, clean, cook, bake, oh and yeah decorate. (all the while being merry & happy & NOT exhausted). Not an easy time of year for all us Give a Mouse a Cookie women but it can be better. (For starters for every yes you say to something, say a no to something & for heaven's sake just breath)!
   What this blog is about today is to remind you (and myself) to be mindful of those special things that make Christmas amazing for you; the things that bring a warm and fuzzy feeling to your heart. For this blogger it is decorating and especially my live greens decorating & putting up and adorning that fragrant, amazing tree. If nothing else got accomplished - I would have a tree. When my daughter was in Australia for Christmas two years ago - not many decorations made it out of their ten month hiding places, just a few favorites but I most definitely had a tree.
   The lights of course bring your tree to life but it's your ornaments that give it the heart, soul & joy. Mindfully - take the time to reflect on them and carefully give them their special bough. I love the ornaments I have collected from places that have been visited or ornaments that came from a special place or remind me of a special time or person in my life. My friends (of over forty plus years!) and I did an ornament exchange for many years when we were out of college & even some were exchanged before. These are always so precious to unwrap. I even have an ornament I made in the 4th grade; just a simple red ball with my name glued and gold-glittered onto it. What precious times those were with many more to come!
   This year I am starting a new tradition. We will each print out a picture of a 'big dream' destination or wish in words and tuck it among those balsam fir branches. I can't think of a better place for a dream to begin its journey to realization than at Christmastime. This is something that takes thought & mindfulness. Take your time & enjoy your trip down memory lane...
    Alas, I know someday when my daughter has her own tree, all her ornaments (and some family ones too) will graduate to that next tree. Hopefully, I will have done my job right and she will mindfully decorate and reminisce on each and every one too. This is the time of year for ornaments & the most extraordinary memories of dreams, faith, hope & love they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment