Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Summer Perennial Favorites ~ Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'

    The summer blooming perennials are finding their way to the farm markets & flower centers now. I will share with you my favorites (very hard to choose indeed) in the next few blogs.
    My second choice is Coreopsis ‘Moonbeam’, Tickseed. Another full- sun lover it will also bloom in partial shade. For the same reasons I love the purple coneflower, this coreopsis is long-lived. My plants have been with me double digit years & are very easy to divide off in late spring. They bloom here in zone 7a, mid-June through October. Their delicate threadleaf foliage & pale-yellow flowers are so lovely. They grow into a mound about 9-12” high with a 1-2” spread. They are beautiful tucked into the front of you border with other cottagey feeling perennials or as a stand-alone specimen. There is no need to deadhead a threaleaf variety & it is very drought tolerant. I have no luck with the pale purple ‘rosea’ variety for some reason. I have the taller growing ‘zagreb’ with its bright yellow blooms in my garden for many years. This blooms from early June through July. Again, the threadleaf foliage adds so much texture to the garden even when it is through flowering. Just small stems add so much to cut flower arrangements too!
    Seek this one out also at your garden centers. You will love this bit of easy-care sunshine in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment