Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Summer Perennial Favorites ~ Purple Coneflower

   The summer blooming perennials are finding their way to the farm markets & flower centers now. I will share with you my favorites (very hard to choose indeed) in the next few blogs.
    My first choice is the Purple Coneflower, Echinacea Purpurea. This perennial has so much going for it. First, it is a long-lived perennial that loves the sun and is drought tolerant with their deep taproot. Second, it has a lengthy bloom time from June through October. Third, when the blooms go to seed, the goldfinches will feast. The stems are sturdy & upright and the goldfinches flock to these seed heads. Fourth, they make a wonderful cut flower and the seed heads themselves are nice in arrangements. Fifth, the butterflies love them. Need I say more?!
     I have tried some of the new varieties in the sunset and sunrise series. Also, I have tried white. I haven’t had any luck getting these to come back for me the following year with maybe one exception. The coneflowers in my garden now came from seeds I planted twenty years ago. They are a wonderful companion plants with phlox, yarrow, daisy, black-eyed susan, bee balm and all your cottage garden flowers. Find a place in your garden & enjoy the butterfly & goldfinch show for the entire summer & fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment