Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Hurricane Sandy Follow-up

   Before I get back to the ‘dollar’ store blogs next week, I must say a few words about this horrific hurricane that was experienced by some but felt by all. My thoughts & prayers go out to many close by to me here east coast. I consider my own situation fortunate. A few days of lost power & a few trees & limbs down are minor in comparison to what many are experiencing. A few days of colder temperatures & no heat or electricity really is an in your face reminder for me to never take any of your blessings for granted. Every night – gratitude – gratitude – before sleep. Also, keeping things around you in a simple way would make for less complicated loss. Just by not overstocking a refrigerator/freezer with (processed) foods or too much food would have made my own situation easier. If you stick to fresh ingredients, you tend to go through them quickly & there’s less spoilage. Also, on a warmer note, don’t wait until a power failure to burn those candles. (my favorites are the tapers that have only a few inches left but you can’t bear to throw them away). I really enjoyed that part of this storm. Sounds odd to find a silver lining but reading by candlelight is so nice & I don’t want to forget that part of this learning experience. Playing cards, board games ~ a reminder of simpler times. So tomorrow when the outdoor cleanup begins, I will continue to count my own blessings & say a little prayer for everyone else…

No comments:

Post a Comment