Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Dolce Far Niente

   I know I can be a bit behind on books & movies but sometimes it’s serendipity that you read or watch something at the right time in your life. I finally had the pleasure of watching the Julia Roberts movie Eat, Pray, Love a few weekends ago. (I have to admit I did try to read the best-selling book years ago & found it slow to get into ~ not the right time I suppose) There is a barbershop scene in the movie while Julia’s character, Liz, is visiting Rome, Italy for four months. (see clip below) They start discussing the Italian phrase Dolce Far Niente. The meaning of the phrase being ~ the sweetness / pleasure of doing nothing ~ enjoying where you are in the present moment. Of course to the Italians this 90% of the time involves food, wine, sex or all of the above!
    So why it struck a chord so quickly with me was that I remember experiencing this firsthand in Italy a very long time ago (didn’t know there was a phrase for it at the time & honestly lost sight of how important this could in an authentic, happy life). I was studying in Siena for six weeks one summer. (Truly rough, I know) It was always a dream of mine to travel there & here was my opportunity in college. I, of course, like many ran myself around like a typical turista for weeks. There came an aha moment when it hit me ~ il dolce far niente ~ what everyone around me was embracing. So I slowed down & then some. I enjoyed the wine-filled, food-laden lunches even more, embraced the siesta & began seeing Italy through different eyes. I lay peacefully in piazzas at night counting the stars & had more aha moments. I realized Italian painter Giotto’s revolutionary use of lapis lazuli pigment for the skies in his paintings instead of gilt gold was no accident. The nighttime sky there really was that color blue! (Yes, I was an art history major!) It’s the slowing down, being with friends, being with family (without it being hectic ~ often a challenge), being alone but not lonely. Taking in your surroundings whether local or on holiday & slowing down long enough to truly appreciate the moment. This is not an easy task here in America (as stated on the movie clip). It may be an uphill climb but so worth that effort. Il dolce far niente ~ find pleasure in doing nothing totally & completely without guilt! I know I’ve discovered a way and our authentic selves know not to take those moments for granted. And now I have a name for it…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3n9z5zuJg

1 comment: