Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Planting ~ Simply


   As promised, I want to address the simplifying our lives as it pertains to the garden. Naturally, a great foundation of trees, shrubs and perennials is a great start. In this blog I want to focus on simply planting annuals in containers & in your beds that will save you time & money & look so beautiful.
   The goal is to choose plants that are a thriller, filler & sometimes spiller all in one. I always like to do a grouping of pots together. This year I want to have beautiful, unique plants – one per pot! The plants I am looking to use are coleus, felicia, lantana, heliotrope, calibrachoa, unique geraniums, euphorbia ‘diamond frost”, salvia ‘Victoria blue’ (pinch centers out early to encourage branching, zinnia (same pinching, pinching, pinching!) . I also love dragon wing begonias & I will keep these in my beds & hanging baskets. They get huge! I love the idea that one specimen of any of these plants, given the room to grow, will be spectacular in their simplicity. I planted Hyacinth bean seeds for my trellis & arbor. This climber will not get too out of control (like a morning glory – or reseed too crazy the following year) The spectacular purple flowers become glossy eggplant colored seed pods later in the season. The hummingbirds love them & you collect the seeds for next year’s planting.
     When choosing your plants this year, check the tag carefully on the ones that speak to you. Check the height & spread and see if that can be that simple thriller/filler for your garden. Remember to buy some time-release plant food like Osmocote to scratch around your plants. One feeding for four months is a very simple way to go.
     You will especially reap the simplicity of feeding, watering & dead-heading as the season goes on. I mean watering one plant instead of five that would normally fill the same space – why didn’t I think of this sooner?!?
     Happy choosing & planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment