Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

The End To Multi-tasking - Results

     I began my ‘experiment’ of putting to rest the constant multi-tasking in my life on Monday and Tuesday. Rest being the operative word here, because it takes a restful mind to stay on task & get through the day with this experiment.
     First, I have to admit that I “practiced” a bit over the weekend with my cup of coffee. Both days I drank clear to the bottom without microwaving it once! So, I felt prepared, but why did I have such butterflies Sunday night? I made sure the teenage tester read that blog on Sunday so she would understand what exactly was going on with her Mom. She said I’d never be able to do it. (She was really concerned that meals wouldn’t get made in a timely fashion!) She did, however, love the graphic. (It’s never too early for them to truly understand how men & women think!)
     So drumroll please… the result is I truly enjoy this! I know that we are hardwired a certain way & that it takes time and energy to brake a habit or a way of doing things. But, it takes more energy to go back & forth & sideways… all day long. So, I firmly believe there is something to this.  My workday ran pretty similar to other days & I was really trying my best to stay the course. I realize this will take some time (& I have coworkers to answer to.) I will keep trying though! After work, I loved the fact that I didn’t think about what I was making for dinner until I actually got home & that everyone understood that it would be this way. I actually enjoyed making dinner on a workday because I did not empty the dishwasher, fill the dishwasher, read the mail, take the recyclables out, answer the phone, make lunches, or watch the news while making albeit an easy meal. During the lull time, I closed my eyes, heard the birds chirping outside & simply enjoyed my quiet thoughts for a few minutes! Imagine that! So after dinner, one tiny chore at a time, the rest was accomplished. It took a tiny bit more time, but I like it this way. (Is this why men seem happy & we seem miserable? – lol) So, yes, I may burn a few less calories around the house, and things may take a bit more time in the long run. But, I do think I will be more productive & less harried at the end of the day. I used to worry that if I didn’t do something as soon as I thought of it that I would forget completely. Well, this is true but making a list (on pretty paper) will help with that I’m sure. So, give it a try! I’d love to hear some feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment