Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

House Wren

     It truly is so hard for me to choose a favorite bird. I would have to say this time of year, though, that the House Wren would get my vote. They are the quintessential songbird ounce for ounce. This tiny 5 inch songbird is very entertaining. Luckily, year after year, they return to my yard & raise a family.
     When they arrive in spring, you will usually hear them first. Their brown coloring blends rather than stands out. But boy can they sing! They are easily the loudest & most vocal bird in my yard. The male will take twigs to any and all available bird houses or cavities in his breeding territory. Then he will perch & sing for hours & days on end. When he finally attracts the female, she will decide on which ‘home’ to raise her young. Then she will ‘redecorate’ & make it her own. (Does this sound familiar at all?) You just have to love it & them! They are so fun to watch, especially when feeding time comes for the nestlings. My birdhouse to the left (built by my teenage tester for Mother’s Day), has a family there every year. It is, however, at the one corner of my main perennial garden. I do get some ‘noise’ from the parents when I am out weeding or deadheading too close. It is extremely entertaining, though, and I usually have a pretty nice dialogue with them!
    So listen next time you are outside & see if they are nearby. This may be the perfect excuse for you to hang a house!

No comments:

Post a Comment