Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Blue False Indigo - Baptisia

    It’s a difficult question to ask an artist their favorite color or a gardener their favorite flower. But, here I am contemplating this as my possible favorite perennial. Spring perennial for sure. There is so much to love about this particular plant, Blue False Indigo (baptisia australis). My baptisia, pictured at left, is about 8 or 9 years old now. So, yes, it is long-lived. It enjoys full sun to part sun. The more sun, the less staking it may require. It is drought tolerant & my deer have never been interested! The size is about 40” with a similar spread. I have mine planted in the center of my largest perennial bed, a free-standing bed. It would make a wonderful backdrop for any border. Last Spring I saw baptisia as a stand-alone plant and it really had a shrub-like quality ; it was beautiful. There are a few varieties with yellow, cream and white flowers. This variety begins to emerge in spring & blooms late spring early summer. The blue-green foliage stays beautiful all summer, until frost. The flower spikes become dark gray & black pods throughout the summer. The greens from this plant I use in every cut flower arrangement throughout the spring & summer. As gorgeous as the flowers are, I appreciate the leaves even more. This one really is a must. I know it’s a larger perennial, but worth building a garden bed around!

No comments:

Post a Comment