Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Coral Bells - Heuchera

Last, but certainly not least, of my favorite spring perennials is Heuchera or Coral Bells. This may be tied for number one for me along with Baptisia (Blue False Indigo). I blogged about Heuchera in ‘Winter Landscape Perennials’ previously because of its wonderful, winter, evergreen foliage. The plant forms well-contained 12-18” mounds in the sun, part-sun areas of my garden. The coral spikes grow 18-24” & the hummingbirds love them. The ‘Palace Purple’ variety I have planted in shade and really for the deep purple foliage. The white flower spikes are just a bonus in the summer. There are so many varieties now, grown for fabulous foliage. I pair my Coral Bells Heuchera with Lamium, Liriope & Coreopsis ‘Moonbeam’ for year-round color. The picture to the left shows Spring/early Summer bloomtime. Soon after the Coreopsis takes its turn to bloom during June through October. The Liriope blooms in August through September. All are long-lived perennials & since three of the four remain well contained, I can allow the Lamium to meander a bit. The Coral Bells, even though the round mounds are so perfect, can be divided off in early Spring. Divide before the flower spikes begin to appear. I find the flowers never quite recover enough to stand upright if you wait too long. I do fishing line tie my flower spikes upright. There are so many I have to! My original plant came from a friend many years ago & I have divided off dozens of plants since. The spikes also make a colorful cut flower & with the Baptisia greens as a backdrop, a wonderful simple arrangement is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment