Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Pine Cone Bird Feeder

   The holidays are over & my Christmas tree came down (last as usual). I took my own suggestion & placed my tree outside for some extra winter cover for the birds. I also made a few pinecones covered in peanut butter & birdseed for my feathered friends to enjoy. Well, two of the three I hung on my Christmas tree. (Pictured at left) Really, what a sweet thing to do, right? Looked pretty, yes. Smelt delicious, yes. Thwarted my yard full of super squirrels, NOT. They loved every second of the challenge (lasted 2 seconds) & found them to be a delicious mid-winter treat. The tree is now laying on its side as a result of all the activity & the cones are nowhere in sight right now. (My only hope now is that some of the twine makes it to a nest or two!) Luckily, I saved one for my very baffled ‘food court’ feeder where it would be safe from bionic squirrels. So far I’m still waiting for some action.  But isn’t that what us bird watchers do best? So, if you have squirrels en masse, I suggest to save a few for a protected feeding station so you would have time to enjoy watching the feast! If you want some quick entertainment from the squirrels, then by all means hang them in a tree!
Note: I have heard concerns about birds at feeders suddenly disappearing for days at a time or longer. Not to worry; you are probably not the only food source for them in the area. (even if you think your setup is the best!) They will be back & frenzy eating once more. The most common birds this time of year, chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, juncos like to travel in numbers together. Use the opportunity to do a mid-winter cleaning of your feeders if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment