Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Bruce Springsteen & Davy Jones

     Two musicians whose name you don’t often hear together in the same breath, Bruce Springsteen & Davy Jones. With the loss this year of music icons Clarence Clemmons, Etta James & today, sadly again, Davy Jones it got this blogger thinking. We need to carpe diem the opportunities we have to connect with our music roots when they present themselves.
     My love affair with Davy Jones began when I was a kid. He was my first rock & roll crush. He & Micky Dolenz were my first concert ever. They appeared at a strip mall parking lot a mile from my home. My Mom took me & let me up on her shoulders to see better that night. There were others performing, but I remember The Monkees best. (I mean a ‘fake’ group that sold over 65 million song copies worldwide!) I have seen them since & I am now so glad I had the opportunity! My other favorite Davy moment was when he appeared on The Brady Bunch. We all wanted to be Marcia, she got to kiss him twice! Check out the first link below for the singing portion of that episode & the second for the kissing portion (love the rotary desk phone!). It takes you back…RIP Davy Jones.

   My love affair with Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band began the last years of high school & continues through today. The loss of Clarence Clemmons, the iconic sax player for the band, hit many of us hard last year. I mean the years are piling up on all our favorite rockers & the opportunities to see them one last time are getting fewer. The National Constitution Center in Philadelphia has an exhibit running now through Sept. 3, 2012, From Asbury Park to the Promised Land: The Life and Music of Bruce Springsteen. Freedom is Calling. Rock it Out. See the link below for ticket info. I will be reporting back on this exhibit in a few months. RIP Clarence, you will be missed.
     So seize those opportunities when you can to touch base, perhaps one last time, with your favorite musical performers. I know there was a time in our lives when we listened to music constantly. I know demand on our time prohibits that these days. It, however, has gotten easier & easier to cue up some tunes from tablets & phones & satellite radio, etc. Rock it out!
http://www.constitutioncenter.org

No comments:

Post a Comment