Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Cushion Spurge

    My newest favorite spring bloomer is Euphorbia epithymoides or Cushion Spurge. My plant was generously given at my garden club’s plant exchange in June 2010. I took the tiny, sweet, baseball-sized plant home that day with no knowledge of the plant, but with great expectations. I did some research & learned it would enjoy a dry, sunny spot. This was perfect because I was putting that type of garden together that year! Was I ever rewarded! The photo left was taken the following spring. The mound, pictured at left, was basketball sized by springtime! Turns out it loves the all-day sunny spot. Spurges are succulents that can take the dry conditions. The beautiful bright, yellow flowers are really bracts (think poinsettia – the red bracts). The foliage changed to light orange in the fall. A wonderful companion plant is the Forget-Me-Knot. I pair it with annual portulaca & blue fescue grass (another garden club donation plant that day). Find this plant this year & enjoy your first Euphorbia!

PS. Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is on all weekend. See link to participate. For my day one fifteen minutes I counted 3 chickadees, 2 blue jays, 2 Carolina wrens, 1 female cardinal & a cooper’s hawk!
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc

No comments:

Post a Comment