Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

The Crocus

    This is the time of year when every home & garden magazine has those lovely spring flowers & colors on their covers. Yet, as I stare out my window at a mostly brown & green landscape, I get antsy, REALLY antsy. Luckily for us, every supermarket, garden center & produce center wants our business NOW!! So there are ways to bring the spring into our homes & still take them outside for the following years’ blooms.
      I always like to have crocuses in my garden, usually by my front door where I can see them every day. They are one of the first flowers of spring & they never disappoint. Buy them now inexpensively in pots at your store with no blooms showing. (The pot to the left only took a few days in the warm house for the blooms to start peeping out) After they are finished blooming, put the pot in the garage or basement. Water occasionally & plant the corms in the spring/summer in a place where they will get some sun. (in the areas around your deciduous trees, you may have more sun opportunities this time of year!) The greens will have died back by then. They will rebloom every early spring/late winter for years to come! This works well with the delicate tete-a-tete daffodils you see this time of year too. Just, two sweet little somethings to enjoy now.
PS. Happy Birthday to my one & only fabulous sista!!

No comments:

Post a Comment