Marypause50 ~10 years later still a blog about gardens, simplicity, friendships, gratitude, health,

Winter Landscape Perennials

     When you love gardening as much as I do, you realize pretty early on that losing the entire season of winter to bleak is completely unacceptable! Sure we get the occasional pretty snowfall, but we miss the plants big time! I have a perennial bed close to the house that I have planted with ‘evergreen’ perennials. Since I am out there often because there is a hot tub (yes, wonderful treat), I didn’t want mulch in the winter only. I also wanted easy care, & not plant annuals every year. So I focused on perennials that would not die back in the winter. My three favorites pictured here would be a wonderful addition to any yard. They are also long-lived perennials; I have had them planted double digit years!  They are easy care & like shade to part sun. They are: top left – Heuchera (Coral Bells), top right – Liriope, bottom – Lamium (Beacon Silver). They are all low growing & bloom at different times with some crossover. The Heuchera blooms from May-July & the hummingbirds LOVE it! The Liriope blooms with a beautiful purple spikes from Aug-Oct. The Lamium blooms late spring & then throughout the entire summer/fall. (I actually had a few blooms a week ago thanks to a warm stretch) The Lamium continues to grow through the winter also. Come spring you will have plenty to give friends. It makes a wonderful, unusual spiller in your planters too. I would not call it invasive but it does spread quickly (it’s in the mint family but don’t let that scare you!). The picture here was just taken and shows their winter interest. The variegated leaves on all three plants make it very pretty & bright in the evening hours. You will not be disappointed if you seek these out for your garden!
Here is a very nice website to view plants:
http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/typeID/172/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment